We suggest that you consider arriving in Switzerland a day or two before joining Alpine Adventures. An early arrival will not only help your internal biological rhythm to sync up with your new destination it will give you an opportunity to explore more of what Switzerland has to offer. And, it’s easy to get around!
Switzerland’s public transportation service, known as Swiss Travel System, is one of the finest worldwide. Fast, efficient and frequent, it connects even the most remote places. The trains, buses, boats and urban transportation system weave a dense network, carrying you anywhere you would like to go.
Here are a few suggestions:
Zurich (downtown Switzerland):
Why Zurich? It’s easy. Since we are meeting you in Zurich, why not take the time to explore this city prior to pick up. A quick walk from the Main Station takes you to a true shopping experience, the Bahnhofstrasse or the 5th Avenue of Switzerland. Stay a night at the Hotel Seefeld or Hotel Rütli where you will have ample time to relax. We strongly recommend that you take a guided walking tour of Old Town where you can come face to face with Zurich’s past and present.
There are many more sights waiting to be explored. For more information and other ideas to consider visit http://www.zuerich.com/en/Visitor/Experience.html or call us to discuss our experiences in Zurich.
Discover this lovely city with its culture, shopping and culinary temptations on the shores of Lake Zuirch:
- Enjoy great culinary experiences in one of the many guild houses or visit one of the outdoor restaurants popular with locals.
- Take a breath of fresh air aboard a lake cruise or on a leisurely stroll.
- Enjoy a spa experience in Switzerland’s most mineral-rich thermal springs.
Zurich at Night
Basel (metropolis in pocket size):
Why Basel? Basel, on the border of France and Germany is a one hour train ride from Zurich Main Station and is a wonderful city in which to some spend time. Basel is unmistakably cosmopolitan, lively and innovative. Boasting 40 museums, there is something to interest each and every visitor. We recommend visiting Basel after your Alpine Adventures are over. The Hotel Schweizerhof Basel is not only a wonderful hotel; it’s convenient since it’s an easy walk from the Swiss Railway Station. Also, Paris is a quick high-speed train (TGV) ride from this great city.
There are many more sights waiting to be explored. For more information and other ideas to consider visit http://www.basel.com or call us. We will be delighted to share our experiences in Basel.
While you are there:
- Take a guided tour and explore the history of Basel with a visit to the historic Old Town.
- Encounter art at every turn on a stroll through the city as well as in roughly 40 museums. In particular visit the Foundation Beyler and the Kunstmuseum Basel.
- Marvel at buildings by internationally renowned architects.
- Enjoy the good food and drinks via countless street cafes confectioneries and traditional restaurants.
A Roman ampitheater near Basel
Bern (the capital city):
Why Bern? Bern is situated in the heart of Switzerland at the center of Europe. Home to some of Switzerland’s greatest museums and galleries, Bern is considered a true citadel of culture. The combination of internationally renowned art and unique architecture makes it an absolute must for culture aficionados.
Bern’s unique cityscape is shaped by the city’s cosmopolitan charm. Bern has so much to see and discover.
There are many more sights waiting to be explored. For more information and other ideas to consider visit http://www.bern.com.
While you are there:
- Visit the Albert Einstein House.
- Explore Old Town in the company of a knowledgeable tour guide or on your own with an iPod Audio Guide.
- Take a swim in water that meets drinking water standards. The Aare River is a popular spot attracting all for a cool dip on hot days.
- Experience an exclusive tour inside the Clock Tower, one of Bern’s most prominent landmarks which dates from 1530.
Swiss Parliament Building in Bern